Thursday, December 11, 2008

Sellin' out

I am at the airport waiting for a plane to take me to a job interview in Louisiana. I have on a shirt and tie, an expensive leather jacket and I have Starbucks in one hand and a Blackberry in the other. Is this me? In case that's not enough, the guy sitting across from me looks like I usually do: a slacker. He's probably thinking the same thing I would be. "I sure am glad I'm not living like that materialistic corporate peon over there.". Oh well... It's all about the Benjamins I guess.

2 comments:

bill said...

Hi Josh:

I remember a long time ago talking to an older guy about selling out. He said he didn't feel like he had sold out, but rather, he had rented part of his time to someone. False consolation? We can't help but have multiple identities... within family, with friends, at work, etc. I think most of us can work within a different identity without compromising the identity that we value most.

Cousin Bill

angela michelle said...

I love Bill's comment. One of the great things about growing up a bit is that you lose the feeling that you have to always portray one certain identity. I feel like now I can abandon concern for my image for utilitarian reasons--like getting a job.

Or like when I eventually decided to start shaving my legs so I other people wouldn't feel disturbed by me.

So the flight didn't work out and now you're driving?