Thursday, March 19, 2009

Surreal images

There have been many times since I started working offshore that I had to double check what I was actually seeing. Most of the time, the world of heavy industry is functional and aesthetically barren, but sometimes there are some truly bizarre and beautiful things to see:

These anchor chains were just piled up in this shipyard as far as the eye could see. They're just too big. For some reason I was reminded of Salvador Dali.


This was yesterday. My first day surveying for NOAA. I was driving the boat over an imaginary line on the bottom. There was no frame of reference, so I had to drive just by instruments. I couldn't even see the horizon. I felt like I was on some other planet where there was no difference between liquid and gas. The sea, air, and land are all mixed together here.

I am well on my way to becoming a boat captain if I ever decide that a sailor's life is truly the life for me.

3 comments:

Nancy Sabina said...

Crazy! I can see the Salvador Dali thing. Maybe because the proportion seems so weird.

angela michelle said...

oh my goodness--you snuck up on me iwth all these posts--I'll have to come back later to enjoy! so ruthie is saying maybe she'll come visit me next month. wanna join her?

(Security word: peaman
Perhaps the new slang for a navy recruit wearing a pea coat?)

Catherine M. said...

Fantastic observations... Worth read as usual..