Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Even more pics!

This is my sub, the USS Buffalo returning from six months away from home port. This was we were still stationed in Pearl Harbor, so that's Oahu. Hawaii in the background. That day I was filled with a sense of accomplishment that was truly rare during my long years in the Navy.
This is a statue at the Kawasaki-Daishi bhuddist temple in Japan. This was one of two warrior statues on either side of the main gate to the temple. I guess they are there to watch the gate. The temple was just part of a complex spanning about two square miles in the middle of a densely populated suburb of Tokyo. There were stunning statues and paintings everywhere, and the landscaping was incredible. A tour guide told us that there had been a temple on that site for over 800 years. Allied forces destroyed it in the war, but they rebuilt it. Sorry guys.
This is another statue at the Kawasaki temple. I liked this one because it reminded me of the old monk from that movie Ninja Scroll. I guess that's how they dressed. I wish I knew who it is a statue of, because he's probably important to bhuddists and he probably wasn't a kung fu masta.
This is part of a sprawling mural beneath the elevated train track in Yokohama, Japan. There were dozens of amazing pieces of street art all along a sidewalk under the track next to a normal street. This piece is featured in a book about grafitti art that I have, so it's cool to have a picture of me beside it.
This banner loomed over the Sonar shack on my sub. It's an old joke dating back to the misty beginnings of seafaring history.

1 comment:

Nancy Sabina said...

Wow Josh! It is clear that you did some very cool things and saw some very cool sights! I can't wait to hear all kinds of stories of far away lands!