Thursday, October 16, 2008

Find inner peace... or die!

So every one in my immediate family blogs dilligently and I have been assigned to do the same. Actually, I've been meaning to do this for a while just for a journal and to write more. I am back in Texas just trying to shape my post-navy life into something I can wake up to on the morning with a smile. The other day I was helping dad build a wooden quilting frame for someone. I was just sanding the cut wooden pieces while my father shaped and stained them. Dad also keeps bees and had this trash can full of old honeycombs that had already been pressed. We had opened the garage door to enjoy the nice weather and the bees from the back yard smelled the honey. First we noticed a few buzzing around, then a few more. Dad didn't seem concerned, and I was definitely in his world, so I figured we were ok. By sunset, a full-scale invasion was underway. The sound of thousands of bees was almost audible above the whine of the table saw. Still Dad continued his peaceful, methodical work. He had already taught me that bees usually won't sting you if you are calm around them and don't make any sudden moves. No problem until one landed on me. Dad acted like I was crazy to get so upset and just brushed the bee off my arm. We worked into the evening and I began to embrace the beauty of doing everyday, prosaic work while surrounded by wild animals that could kill me just as easily as a lion or shark if I gave them a reason. It was a truly strange experience.

4 comments:

angela michelle said...

"trying to shape my post-navy life into something I can wake up to on the morning with a smile"

nicely said. and the perfect goal for you right now.

Grandpa Earl said...

It's a zen thing. When you begin to keep bees, you have to adjust to having them flying around you. It is true that most bees won't sting unless you do something to force them. I usually get stung when I put a finger on one.
That being said, the next step is that you learn to be at peace with them and do your own work. I get into the zone. You study the bee, you learn to like the bee, you learn to BE the bee.

Nancy Sabina said...

{Shiver} You're braver than me. I don't care - I wouldn't have stayed in that garage! I don't want to be the bee!

Mark Ashurst-McGee said...

Josh, good to hear from you. Welcome home. Everyone is proud of you of course. Angel is back home now and telling me about how great it was to see you and spend some precious time together. I'm glad she got to go and see you, the folks, meet that Brant character, and do some RRR biz. Good luck with everything. See you sometime.

Your bro, Mark McGee