Sunday, January 25, 2009

Industrial Education

Well the entire first week of my new job has consisted of training. Outsourced training. I haven't set foot in the office all week. What I have done is learn about how to survive a helicopter crash in the open ocean, a sudden cloud of poisonous Hydrogen Sulfide gas, or a chemical fire. I am trained on proper rigging of loads to be craned, and how to direct the crane operator with hand signals. I have a thorough knowledge of OSHA regulations regarding general and specifically oil and gas industry safety. I can identify and interpret a rainbow of color coded hazardous material identification labels. In short, this was one seriously boring week. This is all the same training the the guys who go and work on oil rigs get and if there's one thing I can take away from it it's that I don't want to work on no rig. Fortunately, that's not my job. All that training is just required by the big oil companies for anyone that they contract out and that's often my company. Anyway, I went through the whole program with another guy who was just hired to my company, and we hung out all week and this weekend, so it's nice to know someone here. We went and saw this 70's glam rock band called Zebra. They never really made it out of Louisiana, but they have quite a following here, and I must say I've been to worse shows. It makes me feel better about being almost 30 when I see a band of 50 year old men, rocking the house like they're still 20. I guess that at some point you stop being immature, and become youthful instead.

2 comments:

Nancy Sabina said...

HA! From immature to youthful. Love it.

It's good to hear from you. I was just wondering how things were going for you. Man, I love these blogs.

angela michelle said...

Thanks for the update on your first week on the job. Man, that does sound pretty boring. So you're saying these guys have been doing glam rock SINCE the 70s?! Wow, that's dedication--Way to stick with a bizarre and unseemly trend way past its prime!