Friday, January 30, 2009

Trees, why your TV is evil, and civilian life

So one of my favorite things about Lafayette is that there are all these massive old pre-colonial oak trees around town. A guy who was showing me a rental property showed me one that was about 12 feet in diameter and was said to be over 600 years old. I'll put up a picture some time, but I can't now cuz I'm posting with my phone.
Lately I've been trying to think of things that television has in common with the devil in order to cultivate enough sour grapes to prevent buying one. Here's what I have so far:
1. They both use subliminal messages to control you.
2. They both appeal to the lowest common denominator.
3. They are both in league with the government.
4. They are both very difficult to ignore.
5. They are both always in style.
6. They both can only come into your home if you invite them.
7. They both played a major part in the advent of Rock n Roll (that's not so bad.)
8. They both try to stop you from thinking for yourself...
That's all I got. Any additions?
P.S. I love having a civilian job! It's just a much less oppressive atmosphere. It's like I have rights or something.

3 comments:

angela michelle said...

If allowed to occupy a small corner of your life, they will both agressively grow and try to overtake your life.

They both distract you from your true desires, interests, and life mission by wasting your time away in meaninglessness.

TV delivers the messages of the devil that appearance is more important than substances, that possession is happiness.

They both portray amorality as normal at best, desirable at worst.

Plus, why do you need TV when you have your computer? You can watch anything you really want to, but you're less likely to just zone and watch things you don't really want to.

Great thought exercise, by the way--maybe I should have the kids do this for fhe.

bill said...

As Angela said, "Plus, why do you need TV when you have your computer?"

In our house, it's all about using hulu.com to watch The Office on Friday night.

So that's another thing showing how TV is like the devil: even if you think you're keeping him/it out, you just may be letting him/it in through an alternate path.

And while you're not buying a TV, why don't you also not buy music? Just get some decent speakers for your computer with a separate woofer, then let Pandora.com and last.fm feed you new stuff continually. Want to take music with you in your mp3 player? Download endless live music from http://www.archive.org/browse.php?field=/metadata/bandWithMP3s&collection=etree.

Catherine M. said...

bwah ah ah. I'm in now...