Monday, January 26, 2009

Saving the World (100 cubic feet at a time)

Well, I started the day off by inventing cold fusion

Then I prevented an environmental Holocaust

And I am currently battling an army of giant mutant bloodsucking insects which seem to have invaded the southern United States


Ahh... It's like taking the time to write about your life actually makes it worth writing about. It all seems so much more epic when it's recorded for posterity. Okay, I didn't invent cold fusion, but I did spend my first real day at work (school's out) with two electrical engineers literally playing with the above contraption. I am not exactly sure what it is, but I know these things about it:

1. It adjusts the voltage of DC power.

2. It withstands seawater pressure at 8000 feet deep.

3. If I am ever asked to hand deliver it across national borders (not unlikely) I will probably be arrested for trying to blow up an airport.

We really did spend 8 hours just messing around with the electromagnetic fields that it emits. how's that for someone who didn't finish high school?
When I got home, I finally got down to the business of finding the local recycling center. They put me on the 6 week waiting list to get a pickup bin and informed me that until then, if I wanted to recycle, I would have to do it the old fashioned way. I have had a massive pile of cardboard, packing paper, plastic furniture wrap, and styrofoam behind my front door ever since the day I moved in. So, I opened the front door (more on that later) and began making trips out to my truck to load the stuff up for a trip to the center. About six trips later, the truck bed was heaped with reusable trash. About 100 cubic feet of it. The recycling center was in a somewhat seedy neighborhood. Let's just say this white boy got a few WTF stares as he drove by with a pickup full of garbage. After a hasty dropoff and retreat, I was back home to safety... or so I thought.

Apparently, during all the trips in and out of the house for the garbage, my home was completely infested with mosquitoes! I've seen the postcards and t-shirts declaring the Louisiana state bird to be the mosquito, and denounced them as tacky white trash humor, but these things are HUGE! When I started this post, I had slain about fifteen, some of which are depicted. Now a full score of the rancid beasts have fallen victim to my watchful eye and cat-like reflexes! Spring comes early in the South. Guess I better invest in some off and a fly swatter.

1 comment:

Nancy Sabina said...

Sounds like you've set yourself up a fun new life. Congrats!