Friday, January 16, 2009

Movin' on down the line

So the holiday season has ended and so has my four month stint of vacation/intentional unemployment. I have accepted a job at C and C Technologies and if you haven't heard of them, then you must not be initiated into the thrilling and glamorous world of offshore surveying. After the One and Only US Navy, working for some obscure company in southern Louisiana sounded pretty boring. Then they told me that they would actually pay me what a man willing to live as a nomadic sailor is worth, so I asked them where to sign. It sounds like fun, challenging work, and I think I am going to like it here in Lafayette. Some of my more urban cousins were unable to contain their scoffs at the thought of living in such a backward corner of the Great American South (Catherine), but it is a charming little city of suburban dimensions but without an urb to sub to. Also, it's a college town, so it's crawling with nice young ladies (insert your favorite James Brown exclamation here.) Also, it looks like there's plenty of good fishing. Also, the local food is even better than you've heard about. Also, I rented a funky old house and have zero roommates. Also, the people here pride themselves on two things: good food and good music. Those happen to be my two favorite things in the world. So maybe I'll try staying in one place for more than two years this time.
Anyway, I have spent the last week just working on moving in and I have turned an ancient building not unlike a log cabin into an eclectic, hip, modern bachelor pad. Well, at least most of it. here is the living room:



And here's the kitchen and front hall/nook:



It's been a lot of work, and my bedroom still looks like Beirut circa 1985, but to quote Nicolas Cage: "Wearing this suit makes me feel like a better person." When I plop down on one of my jet black overstuffed sofas, or concoct a batch of absolutely sublime spaghetti souse in my fully equipped kitchen, I feel the satisfaction of a man who has hunted for his meat. I will never take civilian life (or middle class wages) for granted again. When I was 19, I learned that it really sucks to be poor. Now I am 27 and I have learned that it's nice to have a few extra bucks lying around.

3 comments:

Nancy Sabina said...

It looks great, Josh. Those couches do look cozy. And it does look very hip and eclectic. Congrats and good luck!

angela michelle said...

Those couches look divine! I remember an old college friend mocking me when we finally got a real couch, but man did we enjoy that couch! I'm glad you're enjoying settling in. You've definitely put in your time as a ramblin' man and I'm happy you get to enjoy settling in. (Too bad you don't have someone wonderful to share it with ;) )

Catherine M. said...

Josh, we're coming to visit! If it weren't for the black leather couch, I'd say that you've got the nest ready for a hen. Love it. Call us when you're about. We all adore you!